Saturday, January 15, 2011

Blackright

I made it Family, early- early this morning I landed at Jomo Kenyatta Airport in Nairobi, Kenya. I still feel like I'm in shock. Standing there in my "Kenyan Pride" hoodie (thank you DJ) I had mixed feelings. I don't take this trip lightly. I'm extremely blessed to be here. I desire to get everything I can from this experience because its not really about me. Its about the Kingdom of God, its about my Family, its about the Black Arts, its about Kenyans, its about our future. I'm here to learn and to teach and to grow. There's no way I'm coming back the same. I was already different before I left and God is just continuing to mold me.
There's a quietness in my spirit. I don't want to just see Kenya, I want to touch, hear, taste and feel it. I want the dirt to be second nature to me so i can compare it to my desert dirt of Phoenix. I want to speak as much (if not more) Kiswahili as English. I want to look in people's eyes and change. I want people to look in my eyes and change.

I didn't want to jump on the "Blacks returning to our African Homeland" tip but there is something sitting in me about it. Being an AFAS major it had to come to mind. Now, i didn't jump off the plane and kneel and kiss the grass or anything- but when I felt the breeze from the open doors of the airport I was quieted. The breeze passed over me and settled in my spirit.

Identity is something that all beings struggle with. America has made this tenfold for African Americans. I am not exempt. Am I a tourist? Am I a returning black? Am I an outsider? Am I a Kenyan? Am I only American? Am I black or African-American? Where do I fit in? As we go from one stage in life to another our identities are constantly challenged. Being from a state where diversity is fulfilled by coloring a picture of MLK on his holiday, I was the Black Girl who surprisingly got good grades and didn't act like the other black people who didn't. I identify as African-American. I don't desire in the least to omit the first classification. I embrace it. And want to know what that means for Diamond. Above all, despite the malnutrition our blackness has garnered and the self hatred and confusion and violence and hate it has created in us ONE  IDENTITY stands above all others. We are children of God- the Most High King. And that goes beyond color and class and money and country. That FACT will forever sustain the turmoil of our magnificent, and mutilated history. I am one of children reaching up past labels to define and help others redefine who we are and who we can be. Never Settle.
Revelation is near. God is speaking to me in this moment in my life. And I'm ready to receive. And I'm ready to pour out.

I leave you with this-
Jewish people have a program where they can return and visit Jerusalem for free called Birthright right?
Well I think us black folks should be able to come back to Africa for free too- call it BLACKRIGHT!!
Someone get on that and we'll squash the details when I return. :-)

Love 4eva & Always
*Almasi* aka ~Diamond~

2 comments:

  1. All I have to say is...AMEN! I completely agree with everything you just said, and I couldn't have stated it more eloquently. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diamond! THANK YOU for sharing your experience(s) from Kenya. BLACKRIGHT was a great read. I look forward to reading more revelation from your experiences while you are in that GREAT land. Remember: as you compare/contrast the "dirt" from AZ and Kenya don't forget we have responsibility to cultivate. GO FORTH WITH THE CHANGE(s) IN YOUR HEART! God's speed and favor BE upon YOU.

    ReplyDelete