Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Best Thing about Swahili

As we rode from the airport I noticed all the billborads that decorate the sides of the roads. I've never seen so many beautiful black faces in print up for public view. I was so proud.
Academics and non academics alike talk about how the USA is now in a post racial soicety. Whatever. I still see color. And so do most of the United States. Kenya still sees color too. As we travel to the maket to exchange money and do some shopping I as I swapped pleastantries in Swahili with a shop keeper he asked me 'Are you their guide' I chucked and my heart smiled. A bit later the same shop keep and another vendor informed me that next time I went shopping I should go alone- I would get a better price that way. It was pretty hectic mind you. 27 white Americans flood into the market and the shop keepers decended like hawks. Who could blame them? One of our students purchased a traditional African skirt for $20 US dollors that should have cost her  $5-7 US dollors!
I have been told numerous times that I look like I belong to the Luo ethnic group whom reside in the Kisumu area of Kenya. Obama is a Luo. Speaking of which- Kenyans love Obama more that Black people love Obama. And I Love it!
Last night we had a welcome party for us and some guests from US universities who wanted to check out the program. It was a great Karamu (party)! Prior to the event I went back in the kitchen to help our chef Isiah and two other women who work here (Mary and Azibetha) cook our meal. Again I was quiteted in their presence. I just wanted to please and feel what it was like to be with them. I can't lie, I see color, and there is always something uneasy for me when I see black people serving whites. Like back at Wash U. However I understand that the important this is that they have work- and I would be even more upset if Wash U for this program was emplying non-blacks/Africans to work. So I joined them. And I realized that nobody can do it better than us. It was amazing and beatiful. I was back at home in the kitchen with my mama and aunties and unlces cooking and roasting and cutting and cleaning. We are one people. We just call dishes different things. In America sliced tomatoes and unions and chorinader is just that- but in Kenya we call it Kapuli (i think). I was so grateful so have such a family moment here.
Nitakuondoka na hii (I will leave you with this)
The best thing about Swahili is that I can talk about my fellow students with the staff without them knowing it! ;-)

5 comments:

  1. how are the white students dealing with color?

    also, could you ask azibeta about andrew? he was our cook during spring 2010 semester.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diamond, I am really enjoying your post/journal as you experience the culture and way of life there in Africa. The joy of speaking in secret (Swahili) about the people you are traveling likely provides major insight to the staff. "HUMILITY" is a great attribute... that alone will position you for great favor! Thanks for sharing the scope of this Nation seeing color. This barrier has subtles but awareness alone will keep you one step ahead of the barrier itself. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diamond, this is DJ. I have not been able to post comments using my own account--hijacked my friend's.

    Seems like you're on the other side... and the grass may not always be greener, but maybe the wind blows a more soothing breeze; maybe the dirt underneath your feet supports you better; maybe the sun shines that much brighter... in prosaical fashion, enjoy wherever you are since you are a blessed individual, an individual blessing to a world needing the multitude of gifts Jesus has placed in you.

    Oh, please be aware of your cold, hard stares, especially those directed toward the Rhythmless Nation... I know you got to do it, but just make them a little less cold, desert girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this article. I think You put a lot of effort to create this article. I appreciate your work.
    เว็บคาสิโน

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post was very nicely written. I’ll be back in the future for sure!
    แทงบอล

    ReplyDelete